Wednesday, May 28, 2014

One Hour Twice a Month

"Our country needs us all right now to stand up and be counted. We need to try to be great citizens. We are necessary in this country, and we need to give something -- that is to say, go to a local hospital, go to the children's ward and offer to the nurse in charge an hour twice a month that you can give them reading children's stories or poetry," she said. "And go to an old folks' home and read the newspaper to somebody. Go to your church or your synagogue or your mosque, and say, 'I'd like to be of service. I have one hour twice a month.'
"You'll be surprised at how much better you will feel," she said. "And good done anywhere is good done everywhere." - Maya Angelou

These word spoken by the famed poet, activist, professor, dancer, singer, and prolific writer touched something that I have long been wanting to speak on. Volunteering. As I wrap up my Masters degree program and move into my Doctorate in Clinical Forensic Psychology, I will be required by my program to volunteer 20 hours a week to fulfill my obligations. This is exciting because I have always loved volunteering. The idea of doing work with no other outcome than to make someone else's life better. 

When you are a "smart" kid and you are part of the National Honor Society in high school, you have to complete 35 (it may be 32) hours of volunteer service along with maintaining a high grade point average. I volunteered with Phoenix House every year during Christmas break. I loved it. 

I have done many volunteer things over the years on my own, mostly for animal rescue and the homeless, both populations I am very passionate about. But it occurred to me, that most people aren't required to volunteer, most people don't volunteer. Kids that are troubled aren't asked to volunteer, but the academically minded are required to. Why is this? Why are we ALL not volunteering? I have been trying to get in on programs for my daughter but unless they are met with the proper insurance that a school can afford, there is a certain age that children must be to volunteer in certain situations. This has frustrated me to no end. Occasionally, I will find something that has a special volunteer day, that fits in the age range that she can do, but it often conflicts with our schedule.She wants to go read to kids in the hospital but she can't because she is too young.

When I am down and just hate the world, I have always felt better if I did something nice for someone else. So I can't imagine that this philosophy wouldn't work for others. Maybe the most in need, should help others, because it would give them the sense that they are not alone in their plight, that there are others who are out there suffering as much or more than they are. The privileged should not just donate money but their time. Not that money isn't needed, but most of the money for charities goes into the overhead of maintaining the charity and very little goes to the people who need it. 

So on this day of a great lady passing, inspired by her words, should we not make an effort in this area to pledge two hours a month to helping someone. A stranger, a friend, without the noise of obligation or requirement but from within the shouting of our own souls to reach out to others. Let the stories of volunteerism not be celebrated for their rarity but for their commonplace occurrence as part of being a human being.






No comments:

Post a Comment